Saturday, March 10, 2012

Training Day

Does anyone remember that movie? The one with Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke. 

Right, that movie was great.

My cycle day 3 bloodwork and ultrasound were not.

I met a new doctor (the new group rotates each patient through their 4 doctors). He was super nice and introduced me to the other nurse and the Resident. Resident would be conducting my ultrasound. Resident was very, very nervous.  Resident had trouble finding my right ovary much less getting an accurate count of my antral follicules. 

Six months ago, I would have welcomed a resident to practice her skills on me. I believe in education and I spent 2 years as an intern in the mental health field. How else can a doctor perfect their skills without having someone to perfect them on?  (Just want to make it clear that I am not anti-teaching/residents)

The problem is, my appointments are borderline grim. There is not a lot of smiling and there is never any mention of me actually getting pregnant. We just focus on whatever the task is at hand on that particular day. The task last week, was to locate any antral follicles in an effort to speculate what my follicle production might be for this month. I was nervous. A five minute ultrasound took about ten and it was not comfortable. I was also losing patience rapidly and just stared off into space counting down until it was over.

I was most appreciative when Resident stepped aside and let the doctor finish up.

My appointment was over, I was to start the clomid challenge test and schedule and HSG.

Busy week ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment